Many of us are familiar with this situation: you wake up in the morning and you should have eaten, but there is no feeling of hunger at all, and even aromatic coffee gets a lump in your throat, not to mention some kind of cereals, cottage cheese or sandwiches. But with the onset of evening, a monster wakes up inside, ready to absorb everything that is on the shelves of the refrigerator.
This state of affairs does not correspond at all to how it should be in terms of a healthy diet. And in this article we will try to figure out why this is happening, why breakfast is required and how to make this breakfast eaten with appetite.
Why don't you want to eat in the morning
There are several reasons for the lack of appetite in the morning. However, most people have already “trained” not to eat breakfast so much that the thought that this is wrong does not arise. Meanwhile, a member of the National Society of Dietitians and the European Association for the Study of Obesity, Lyudmila Denisenko, names three main reasons for the lack of appetite in the morning (and we’ll talk about why it’s bad not to have breakfast):
- A lot of coffee. There are people who drink this drink in the morning, and during the day, and even in the evening. But an excess of caffeine affects the human nervous system in quite an interesting way: initially it excites it, and then it starts to slow down, and in particular, it slows down the feeling of hunger. As a result, there are malfunctions in the digestive tract. Hence the conclusion that for coffee lovers, its morning dose is the best breakfast.
- Late bedtime. People who stay up late and hardly wake up in the morning eat breakfast with much more reluctance than the rest, because their body has not really woken up yet, and it is already being “stuffed” with food.
- "Carbohydrate Hangover" In simple terms, it's just a big dinner before bed. If a lot of food enters the body in the evening, by morning it simply does not have time to get hungry. And just in the evening, he will again begin to demand to feed him. This forms the habit of eating a lot at night.
In addition, lack of appetite in the morning can provoke stress, hasty fees for work, and some individual characteristics of the body. Most of the above reasons can be eliminated without much effort, but in the case when the body does not want to eat for some of its "beliefs", it is best to consult a doctor and undergo an examination to identify the source of the violations.
What can threaten the lack of breakfast
The head physician of the Expert Polyclinic, Doctor of Medical Sciences and gastroenterologist Sabir Mehdiyev very well talks about what the absence of a regular morning meal is fraught with. In his opinion, acting contrary to the physiological laws of the body is not only wrong, but also dangerous. If a person does not eat breakfast, the following things happen in his gastrointestinal tract:
- The stomach digests itself. It does not matter whether a person has eaten or not – the stomach will produce hydrochloric acid in any case. And during a night's sleep, it accumulates a lot. And if there is no food in the morning, the acid begins to act on the mucous membrane. As a result, pain, heartburn, pain and other uncomfortable sensations can appear even in people suffering from high acidity.
- Bile stagnates. The gallbladder only contracts when food enters the stomach. It begins to secrete bile into the intestines, which promotes the digestion of fats and the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. If the stomach is inactive, the bile remains in the bladder, becomes thicker and is compressed into stones.
- The intestines don't work. In order for the intestines to become active, it needs to get its dose of bile in the morning, and this is possible only through breakfast. If food is not supplied, peristalsis is disturbed, which in turn causes dysbacteriosis, constipation, heaviness in the stomach and bloating.
In addition to everything, the lack of breakfast often causes weight gain, because it has been scientifically proven that people who do not have breakfast consume more calories during the day. The production of hormones occurs by the hour, and metabolism is most active in the morning – from 7 to 10 in the morning, and it doesn’t matter if a person feels awake or not. In the early morning, the main hormones are released: thyroid-stimulating hormone, sex hormones, cortisol, prolactin and others. This stimulates the metabolism in the body, and in order for the pituitary gland, adrenal glands, thyroid gland and other organs to work properly, it is necessary to provide the body with a timely and optimal supply of energy contained in food.
With systematic skipping of breakfast, the balance is disturbed, as a result of which the body begins to expend its own energy resources necessary for life, and they will not have time to be replenished. And one of the results of this metabolic disorder is weight gain.
It is not for nothing that nutritionists call breakfast the “cornerstone” of the daily diet. Those who eat breakfast intuitively tend to eat foods that contain less fat. And those who skip breakfast, on the contrary, make up for the lost by saturating themselves with high-calorie and fatty foods. As a result, it is much more difficult for them to overcome the temptation to eat a hearty meal before going to bed, which also provokes obesity.
If we leave aside excess weight, there is another negative consequence of the systematic lack of breakfast – an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. As you know, the main cause of heart disease is blood clots, which are blood clots that block blood flow in large vessels. Because of these blood clots, the supply of the heart (or other organ) is stopped. Metabolic disorders associated with the lack of breakfast, and lead to slow blood flow, gluing of platelets and the appearance of blood clots.
And one more thing: due to metabolic disorders in the body, cholesterol rises, and this produces the formation of stones in the kidneys and gall bladder and the occurrence of atherosclerosis and hypertension.
Summarizing, we can only say that the refusal of breakfast is an extremely bad habit and the cause of all kinds of ailments associated not only with the digestive system, but also with other body systems. Therefore, it must be fought, and this should begin as early as possible.
How to start eating breakfast regularly
Here are some simple but very effective tips that will help you get rid of the lack of appetite in the morning and eat with pleasure:
- Try to eliminate the causes of lack of appetite in the morning, which we talked about at the beginning. Match your lifestyle with them and highlight what “fits” for you, and then make adjustments accordingly.
- Even if you don’t feel like eating at all in the morning, do it through “I can’t”. Of course, you don’t need to force your body, but you should definitely introduce a little food into your morning diet. You can start with a few tablespoons of porridge, a small omelette, a slice of cheese with whole grain bread, etc.
- Make your morning menu varied, for example, alternate protein and carbohydrate breakfasts.
- Immediately after waking up, drink a glass of drinking water to neutralize the hydrochloric acid that corrodes the walls of the stomach and “turn on” the intestines. After half an hour, it is recommended to have a light snack, and if this is not possible, drink another glass of water.
- Eat light, low-fat and easily digestible food containing proteins and vitamins for breakfast.
- If you can't have breakfast, you don't have to wait until dinner. Just move breakfast a little and eat an hour and a half after waking up.
- Reduce your evening meal a little so that over time you completely abandon late snacks.
Starting to eat in the morning is not so difficult – just make a little effort on yourself, and after a couple of weeks it will be impossible to start your day without eating something healthy and tasty.
By forming the habit of eating breakfast every day, you:
- normalize the work of the digestive tract
- activate the process of removing toxins from the body
- save yourself from the need for fasting days and special cleanings
- speed up the metabolic processes of your body by an average of 5%
- boost your immune system and protect yourself from infections and viruses
- prevent the occurrence of gastrointestinal diseases, diabetes and obesity
- normalize weight and lose extra pounds
- provide the body with strength and energy for the whole day
- you will wake up faster
- improve concentration ability and memory
- raise your vitality and increase stress resistance
We wish you appetite in the morning and health for many years to come!
We also recommend: